Monday, August 24, 2009

Hole to Feed

This is the fourth in a series of blog entries about songs picked at random from my itunes library. For the post on the last song, "Every Little Thing" go (here). For "No Surprises" go (here). For "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Love Version)" go (here).

"Hole to Feed" is a song that is still pretty new to me. It's the second song of of Depeche Mode's latest album, Sounds of the Universe, and it's a Dave song. Yes, Dave writes songs now. And then he feels compelled to sing them in concert. So, yeah, that happens.

I went to see DM at the Hollywood Bowl last week. It was a good show, but not the livliest Depeche show I've been to, and it was honestly songs like "Hole to Feed" (which is an OK song, really, it just drags a bit) which kind of slowed things down. I understand that they had to cancel their show in San Diego a few days before on doctor's orders so Dave could rest his voice, so I guess it makes sense that they would need to lower the energy level a little.

The big problem was that Dave didn't even take his shirt off! He was wearing a scarf around his neck the whole time (again, probably for his voice?) but my friend who was really looking forward to the shirtless spinning around during "A Question of Time" was disappointed (as were we all). Still, wishes of good health for Dave (and Mart and Fletch)!

The song I really like from SotU so far is "Peace." It's written by Martin (as most songs should be) and they did not do it in concert.

By the way, watch the video for "Wrong", the first single from SotU, on YouTube (here). It is messed up! People wearing people masks are freaky, the shot of the guys walking by is cool, and the fact that the car is going backwards is just, well, wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...