Saturday, July 18, 2009

No Surprises

This is the second in a series of blog entries about songs picked at random from my itunes library. For the post on last week's song, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Love Version)" go (here).

This week's song is Radiohead's "No Surprises." I only have three radiohead songs (a random quote this just made me think of by David Spade: "I only know three songs by REM and guess what? I don't like two of them! That's right, I'm not cool- I don't like REM. Don't hang out with me, I'm a nerd.") and this is one of them. I got this song because at the time I was trying to learn to play it on my ukulele - I've kind of taken a break on learning it, though, because even though I'm playing the right chords, it doesn't sound anything like this song except for the "silent" part.

Anyway, this is a cool song, but does it have to mention suicide? I think this song would be more interesting without the obvious suicide reference. Oh well.

The video for this song features a close-up of Thom Yorke wearing a space man helmet that slowly gets filled with water. The effect is achieved by filming it in regular speed and them playing it back in slow motion - he must have sang it really fast. It's a pretty standard Radiohead video - they always do weird things in their videos. Remember that one that was filmed all with light or something?

Speaking of videos (I'm going somewhere with this) Have you heard of literal videos? They are pretty popular on YouTube. People take a video and then sing what is literally happening it in. Here's a good example of one:

Total Eclipse of the Heart Literal Video (YouTube)

Favorite line: "Ringo Starr: Lined Eyes." By the way, what is up with this video? Is she a teacher at this school? And why DOES that guy have gold glitter in his fencing mask?

Here's one for this song:

No Surprises Literal Video (YouTube)

Favorite line: "Big chin."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...