Friday, July 27, 2012

Project Runway Season 10 Episode 2 Blog

This post has spoilers for episode 2, so be warned.



This was the second episode of the season and, as usual, it was the "unconventional" challenge. This time they had to use candy to make a garment. This challenge was very similar to Season 4's Hershey challenge. I feel like in season 4 the designers were criticized by the judges for not using enough actual candy in their designs. This seasons designers must have seen that episode, because (with the exception of the cast-off stylist designer) they ALL used candy.
3 of the Season 4 candy designs


I don't think any of us were really surprised at who went home this week. She was even second to last on last week's episode. What was Lantie even doing before she ended up cutting up an umbrella in the last few hours (minutes?) of the challenge?
This week's losing garment


If Lantie hadn't totally dropped the ball, I would have expected grandma to go this week - but she (and her dot candy apron/bustle combo) didn't even make the bottom three! Shocking! From the looks of next week's promo (where the designers must work in pairs) her partner does not seem to happy with her work. Can you believe that apron? Tim couldn't even find a nice way to say how awful it was!


My suspicions that Ven would end up being the villain of the season seem to be coming true. I really didn't want him to win this week, even though I actually didn't really like Sonjia's ocean-inspired jelly bean mini. I don't think Ven's stained-glass inspired look was really that great, either.

This week's winner - Evil Ven
In my opinion, the best dress was Demitri's. What were those dangly red things? His dress did look really ballroom, though.


The twins are still not getting along.


Have these people never seen cotton candy before?? The second I saw Kooan grabbing so many bags of it in the store I thought, "Don't you know it won't last long after you open it?" and then he started putting it on his garment the DAY BEFORE the runway show and Buffi even made a "bird's nest" hat out of it. OF course, they were both destroyed by the next morning.


I usually love the outfits Heidi wears when she comes out at the beginning of each episode to explain the challenge - but that plaid dress was just not flattering.
Heidi in plaid


I thought this was the week someone was supposed to leave the show. When that one girl burned her leg, I thought it might be her - or that it might be grandma when she got so upset about Tim's comments. I guess we have to wait at least another week, but according to an interview I read with Heidi, two of the designers quit or have a meltdown or just leave in the middle of the night or something. Heidi even called them "cowards."


What did you think of this week's episode? Let me know in the comments and, as always, I'll see you next week!


Finally, for every P.R. challenge, I like to sketch my own design. Here is mine from this week. Yes, I totally stole the who "stringing gumballs together" idea, but I would have stolen that on the show anyway.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...