Thursday, July 19, 2012

Project Runway Season 10 Live Blogging


Season 10 begins in Times Square, then we go back one day earlier and meet the first designer. Her name is Buffi.


Gunnar is next. Gunnar is also the name of a dog in my neighborhood. Wait, is his name Gunnar DEATH RAGE??


What is that Native American Blanket I see strewn across someone's dress form?


Gunnar explains that his customer is Cruella DeVille. That makes sense because half of his brown hair is dyed bleach blonde.






I guess for the first challenge each designer was supposed to bring one outfit they had already created. (They will probably have to, like, create the ball gown version of it or the dog outfit version or something). Gunnar's Cruella outfit is a simple flower print skirt and what looks like a white cape with a black collar (I don't think it is made out of puppies, though).


Lantie is the next designer. She is 38... I mean, 48.


There's a little Japanese guy with an Afro!


The guy from Brazil gives out hugs.


There's a chick with blue hair.


Elena says she designs for the "edgy girl" and her look is some kind of black straight jacket. So, yeah.


Afro guy's name is Kooan. That is not a real name. He says he likes making a lot of "love."


There is a blonde girl who is a lawyer. I didn't catch her name. She likes black, so much so that she watches black and white films and likes black and white photography. I can already tell that she will not get kicked off this episode - there must be a judging panel later where she just barely makes it and then they tell her they are tired of always seeing black and she MUST use color and then she overdoes it! Prediction!


Some guy named "Ven" or something made a white pant suit, but he isn't in the studio yet - it is obvious that he will be a villain. (Oh! His name IS Ven). The first thing he says is "I know the designers will be intimidated."


Tim comes in. Yay!


The Lord and Taylor accessory wall is new. I've never heard of them. I guess the winner will get to sell their line on that website or something?


There is some girl with long hair who makes a crazy face. They haven't shown her talking yet. I bet she gets kicked off.


Tim announces that they will have the runway show in Time Square. They get 30 minutes to sketch and then it is off to mood.


The chick who likes black is drawing a black dress.


The one with dreadlocks says she is a lesbian and likes to design for tomboys.


Ahh! The long hair girl just said designing comes naturally to her but "sewing not so much"! Now I KNOW she's getting kicked off first! AND she is the one with the native American blanket wrap thing over what looks like a heather gray night shirt. Her name is Beatrice.


SWATCH!! I love him!




Beatrice LOVES using knits... she is soooooo going to lose!!


The guy with the hat likes lace. He just said "this is the ugliest lace I have seen" but then it looks like he bought that lace. It IS really ugly. He's going to give Beatrice a run for her money.


The grandma is 58. She is a fashion teacher. I think she is going to lose, too, though.


Oh, whoops, there are two guys who look the same to me. One of them is Gunnar. They are fighting. One of them just said "This isn't Project Obnoxious" and called the Cruella outfit too Prada (it is). The other guy's name is Christopher. Gunnar says their personalities are similar - don't you notice that you are also twins except that half of your hair is blonde?


The lace guy is having trouble with his lace.


COMMERCIAL #1 : I'm typing too much. Now that I know most of their names, I'll take it a little easier.


The Brazilian guy says he eats out of the dumpster (no, really) and Grandma thinks that is "terrific."


There is a Russian guy who kind of looks like Marilyn Manson. He used to be a ballroom dancer. Grandma says he should be an actor with that face. Maybe he can star in a Marilyn Manson biopic!


The blue haired girl says she likes mixing the soft with the hard. Yawn.


Buffi's design looks gross. The Russian calls is "diarrhea." Tim does not seem too impressed either.


This is the look she brought with her.

The hat/lace guy's name is Raul. He now seems to me like the kind of guy who should get kicked off early, but will keep somehow just barely making it.


Tim is questioning the Brazilian guy's skirt, but I can tell he is not going to lose, they are just trying to throw us off - Beatrice for the lose!


COMMERCIAL BREAK #2 - Gary Cole stars as a serial killer in a Lifetime movie! Yikes!


I like the way Raul says "it's like... promdresses."


The mohawk girl doesn't really have a mohawk. Her name is Elena. She did the black straightjacket dress. She shows Tim the black and white dress she is making and then says, "What is worrying me is this... COLOR." And then they look at it. Is it me, or is there no color?


Ven's rose top does look really well made - M.K. will say it looks expensive.


Tim is worried that Raul's model will look naked in the lace dress.


Christopher wants to kiss Tim, but knows that is crazy. I think Christopher is my favorite twin.


Beatrice is having trouble sewing!


Gunnar does an impression of Tim ala Santino Rice. Remember "What happened to Andre"?? Christopher says Gunnar should be on Toddlers and Tiaras. The models come in and Christopher is having a lot of trouble. He can't get kicked off - I want to see more of the fighting twins!


ATLAS! The girls' room has weird pink and purple blank canvasses on the wall - a rare design miss for Atlas Apartments. I would still LOVE to live there, though.


COMMERCIAL BREAK #3 - the show is only half way over! I didn't realize it was an hour and a half!


It's the day of the runway show in Time's Square. They are not going to do the judging there, are they? I guess they will have to.


I forgot to say that since the assignment is to create a companion piece for the one they brought with them, each designer gets two models.


In the makeup room I see that Afro is wearing a headband made out of a big piece of rope with two googly eyes on it. The good news is he can actually speak Japanese! He's not a fake Japanese person despite his weird name.


Raul is the last designer to leave the room.


COMMERCIAL BREAK #4 - Congrats on the Emmy Nom P.R.!


The runway show begins. 


Ven is first. The rose pantsuit looks really good, but the second look seems messy to me. He did what I would do, though! He took the one pop of color from the first look and made a mini dress in that color with a hint of the rose design on the bottom instead of the top!


Yeah, Beatrice is going to lose. I can't see anyone else's looks being this bad... maybe the lace dress? M.K. does not look impressed.


Lantie's prom dress looks overworked. She'll probably end up in the middle... wait - ouch! Her second look is awful!


Grandma did these weird black and white stripped dresses.


Christopher's black mini has a terrible zipper, but his gown looks perfect - is the fabric some kind of striped snakeskin?


Dreadlocks has a couple of OK Tomboy looks. They are well constructed, so she is probably safe.


Elena's dresses (the black and white ones) are also just OK.


Buffi's companion dress looks better than the outfit she brought with her... that is not a good sign. Do the judges know which is which? Probably not.


Dmitry did a sequin gown. Didn't he say he was done making ballroom dance outfits? Heidi looks like she maybe likes it, though.


Kooan's companion "dress" is a mess - it is made with this bubbly metallic fabric and is poorly constructed and puckering. The first look is well-made, though, so that should save him.


Gunnar's companion dress to the Cruella/Prada look is actually really cute! He might have a chance. The two looks really fit well together.


I don't know who this guy is and he has a green dress and a red dress and you can tell he is going to be in the middle, so they are not spending a lot of time on him this week.


Sonjia is the name of the blue-haired woman, I guess. She made a leather jacket and a leather vest. He second look is not the worst at all, but it looks a little thrown together at the last minute.


The black dresses are black. They look pretty good, but are all black. What will the judges say??


The lace looks look fine. I think.


The Brazilian guy's clothes are not that great. He calls it "wearable" and "comfortable" that is not a good sign.


So who will be in the bottom and the top?


The six designers called out are: Kooan (must be bottom), Ven (top), Lentie (I can't even remember her look), Christopher (top?), Beatrice (bottom), and Melissa of the Black dresses (top). I'm not sure if it's Lentie or Kooan in the bottom, but you know they are not going to throw a character like Kooan out on the first episode!


COMMERICAL #5


Well, Kooan is in the bottom, but he is safe. It comes down to Beatrice and Lentie with the awful snakeskin tulle disaster. They don't like her "vintage" dress either and say she is more of a stylist than a designer (ouch).


They LOVE Christopher's gown and they also like Ven (they don't seem to notice the problems with his little pink dress that I see).


Well, Beatrice is out and Christopher is the winner. I'd be happy I was right about Beatrice, except that it was really obvious she was going to lose. Now I'll have to go back and watch Road to the Runway (which is on my DVR) so I can see how she made it in the first place and who she beat out for that spot.


If you read the news, you know two of the designers (I think) turned out to be "cowards" (Heidi's words) and left the show - it looks like at least one of them is leaving next week - is it the not mohawk girl?? The challenge has something to do with candy, cars, and the Rockettes! Should be fun!!


I can't live blog every episode - it is so much work - but I'll be sure to put my thoughts up each week as soon as possible. Stay tuned and be sure to leave your own thoughts in the comments - do you think Ven was robbed? Were the judges too hard on Kooan? Was I?


Finally, for every P.R. challenge, I like to sketch my own design. I am in no way an artist or designer, as you can probably tell from my first sketch. It's easier for me to do challenges with strict limitations. Designing something that "shows who I am as a designer" is more difficult since I am not a designer. Anyway, here is my design for episode 1. Stay tuned for more!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...