Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Hipsters

So, my first real brush with hipsterdom was when I read an article online about the music used in the party scene of the monster movie Cloverfield. I did not see this movie, but apparently the music used in that scene was very young and cool and hip and alternative, etc. I downloaded some of the songs (and a few similiar songs not in that movie) and found that they made a very pleasant playlist to put on my ipod and then set to random in my car when passengers are present. I called the playlist "Hipster Mix."

Hipster's seem cool but are apparently actually lame and deserve our scorn (though it does seem kind of hipster-esque to heap scorn on things). I'm pretty sure I'm not a hipster, but it would be cool if I was. I tried to make a list of my hipster leanings: I like SOME alternative music, I listen to records, I sometimes shop at Urban Outfitters (and mention it WAY too often in my blog). I still don't have waterballoon fights or think Kanye West stole my sunglasses.

Here is an article from Time about Hipsters:


And here is a website that has a bad word in its name:


This is a list of the songs from Cloverfield. "West Coast" is my favorite - did you know that Coconut Records is Jason Schwartzman?

19-2000 - Gorillaz
Beautiful Girls - Sean Kingston*
Cleanup in Aisle 19 - Stephan M. Sechi*
Disco Lies - Moby*
Do I Have Your Attention - Blood Arm
Do the Whirlwind - Architecture in Helsinki
Four Winds - Bright Eyes
Fuzz - Mucc*
Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker) - Parliament
Going Up? - Stephan M. Sechi*
Got Your Moments - Scissors for Lefty
Grown So Ugly - Black Keys
My Kind of Lover - Locksley*
Not So Easy - Kevin Browne*
Officer of the Day - R.B. Hall*
Pankhida - Lekha Rathnakumar*
Pistol of Fire - Kings of Leon
Roar! (Cloverfield Overture) - Michael Giacchino*
Seventeen Years - Ratatat
Sunday Ticket - David Robidoux*
Taper Jean Girl - Kings of Leon
The Ride - Joan As Police Woman
The Underdog - Spoon
West Coast - Coconut Records
Wraith Pinned to the Mist - Of Montreal

*Ones I don't have in my hipster mix

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...