Thursday, September 17, 2009

Followers of my Blog: Wear Sunscreen

In honor of Baz Luhrmann's birthday...

Remember ten years ago?

Swing dancing was big thanks to Brian Setzer and khakis? JFK Jr.'s tragic passing? The debut of The Matrix, SpongeBob Squarepants, and Napster?

Well, 1999 was also the year of Sunscreen. I don't mean the product you put on your skin to protect you from the sun (that was supposedly developed by a chemist in 1938) but the hit song, "Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)" credited to Australian director Baz Luhrmann (he of Romeo+Juliet and Moulin Rouge fame). It was played on the radio non-stop for a time when I was in college - Everyone in the car would stop talking and listen to the entire song. It was timely. It was apropos. It was weird.

I was reminded of this spoken word tune today and, while I'm not going to re-print the entire speech (which is available, among other places, here and has its own Wikipedia entry - of course - here) I will print all the advice that consists of only one word. Pay attention, class of '99:


Sing.


Floss.


Stretch.


Travel.


There you have it. Want to listen to a version of the song? You can get the 2007 "remix" on itunes from the Romeo+Juliet soundtrack. If you can find it, the original radio edit is much better (Ah, for the days of Napster...)

I may not believe that growing up in Northern California has made me soft...

...but trust me on the sunscreen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...