Sunday, October 11, 2009

Flume


This is the sixth in a series of blog entries about songs picked at random from my itunes library. For the post on the last song, "Ras Trent" go (here). For "Hole to Feed" go (here). For "Every Little Thing" go (here). For "No Surprises" go (here). For "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Love Version)" go (here).

"Flume" is the first track off of Bon Iver's debut album For Emma, Forever Ago released in 2007. Those who are lucky enough to know about this album know that it was recorded by singer-songwriter Justin Vernon during a three-month stay in a cabin in Wisconsin.

This was one of the first records I got when I bought my record player. It was basically second on the list of "Records You Must Buy if You Listen to Records" (After Neutral Milk Hotel's In an Aeroplane Over the Sea which I also own). And within 10 seconds I knew why. I don't think I can explain in words what it is like to put the needle to the vinyl, wait a moment for this song to begin, and then hear the first chords from the acoustic guitar reverberating off the cabin walls. The real kicker, however, is (what I guess would be) the chorus.

Resist the urge to look up the lyrics and just listen.

******

On a personal note, after almost exactly six months, this is officially the 50th entry for this blog. I've been rolling my heart to you since April 19th, 2009 when I just had to share with everyone my experience from the front row of Paul McCartney at Coachella.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...