Saturday, December 19, 2009

Album Covers with Trees

Today I was at my local antique store shopping for records. I was there to get the copy of John Lennon/The Plastic Ono Band that I knew they had (gotta love "Hold On") and I did. But while I was there I noticed how many album covers have trees on them. By that I mean a picture of the band in an outdoor setting with trees (and often a river) and no words or people on the top 1/3 or so of the cover (the top is usually the only part you can see when you are flipping through a box of albums - thus many covers have the name of the band at the top so you can easily spot them).

Not only does JL/TPOB (released in 1970) feature this kind of cover, but so does Wings' first album, Wild Life (released in 1971)! Here they are:

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band


Wild Life

Notice how these two also have no names or titles (this plan kind of backfired, at least when it came to Wild Life sales). Not to be outdone, George Harrison's All Things Must Pass cover also features an outdoor scene with trees, but it has his name and the album title at the top. Plus it's not really in color, so it doesn't count.

Here are some of the other tree covers I discovered, I'm sure there are MANY more:

The Rolling Stones: Between the Buttons (1967)
Though not a perfect example, it does have no title/names.


I guess Caravan was a band.


CCR's Green River has the band name/title at the top, but it's really hard to read, so it's OK.
Also, one of them is holding a guitar, which is kind of cheating.
If Guitars are OK, then I might consider Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline.


I did a little research and found this website which features album covers with JUST trees (no people) which is not the same thing. It does feature on of my favorite albums, though, For Emma...

I also found this forum that has a post about outdoor covers, though not strictly of the variety I am talking about. It has pictures for a lot of them.

More covers to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...