Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fast Food


I wrote about this article before, in this post on how to save money, but today I actually tried out their advice.

The basic premise is to make fast food at home, specifically breakfast. We've all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Did you know that your metabolism is higher in the morning (within 30 minutes of waking up)? That means you can eat more calories. People who try to lose weight by skipping breakfast are really doing themselves a disservice. Not only does a good breakfast give you the energy to last until lunch, but it also keeps you from snacking, or eating a big lunch you don't need. You can even save money by eating breakfast! Most people who skip breakfast end up going out to lunch, spending more money.

The website suggests making your breakfast in advance (say, on Sunday morning), putting it in the freezer, and then heating it up in the microwave for a few minutes right before you leave in the morning! Here are some recipes:

Breakfast burritos:

Make up some scrambled eggs (I like to put chopped up peppers and veggie sausage in mine), sprinkled some shredded cheese on top, then wrap them up in a tortilla. Wrap the tortilla in saran wrap (or put it n a freezer-proof ziplock bag) and put it in the freezer. When you're ready to eat, take off the plastic wrap, wrap the burrito in a towel, and put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Then you can even take it out the door with you if you are in a hurry. At my work, there is a microwave and a freezer, so I can even leave some at work in case I am in a real hurry, or forget.

Croissant sandwich:

I found some mini croissants in the bakery section of the grocery store. I took two and put the rest in the freezer. Then, I made up two little omelettes and put one on each of the croissants to make a little sandwich. I sprinkled some cheese on before putting each sandwich in a freezer bag.

Update: I have been eating these things for breakfast for three days. My review so far? In an emergency, this would be OK. I guess it's better than not eating any breakfast at all, but really these are kind of gross. The top of the tortilla gets all hard and dry and the cheese gets way too hot. I think it would be better to just heat the eggs and then put them on a tortilla with some cheese, but then, if you're going to do that, just make some eggs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...