Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Jimmy Fallon Experiment: Day One (Fever Pitch Night)

So I Tivo'd Late Night with Jimmy Fallon this week to see if it will be my new show. I will review each of the week's episodes here on the blog!


Monday Night/Tuesday morning Jan. 11/12, 2010:

  • Jimmy had the audience play a spit take game where they spit on each other. It was pretty funny! I liked when he asked one team to switch places because he didn't "want to get anything on The Roots."
  • The first guest was Maggie Glyyenhaal (I don't know how to spell her name, but her husband is Peter Saarsgard). Everyone says the movie Crazy Heart is really good, but it's about a country singer. Apparently Jimmy actually likes country music because his wife likes it. Maggie said she got into it when she was nineteen, too. She is one of those hipster people who throw around names like Bobbie Gentry, Iris DeMente, and Gillian Welch, (Jimmy asked if she was "in the X-Files" which was not funny) because they didn't grow up around country music, but Jimmy's wife is into non-hipsters like Merle Haggard.
  • The next guest was baseball player David "Big Papi" Ortiz. I think he plays for the Red Sox. Jimmy mentioned being in the movie Fever Pitch within two seconds of the guy coming out, but it was interesting when he described how the movie was originally supposed to end with him and Drew in "old people make-up" in, like 2053 or something, when the Red Sox finally won (but then, you know, they won). He sells hot sauce. It's also hip to be into hot sauce. I'm not that into hot sauce. I would totally pretend to be into hot sauce, but I'm afraid I would end up having to put it to the test one day, just like if I pretended to be into Bobbie Gentry, someone would eventually make me listen to country on, like, a cross country road trip or something. Anyway, Big Papi threw some eggs at Jimmy. It was pretty good.
  • The last guest was a Boston comedian, Lenny Clark. He is on Rescue Me and... wait for it... he played Jimmy's uncle in Fever Pitch! Then he talked about how fat he was when he was in Fever Pitch! Stop talking about Fever Pitch, everyone! This was kind of like a Boston theme night.

Overall, it was a fun show and a good start to my Late Night experiment. Now I can look forward to watching the next episode which is all about Ringo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation

I am re-watching all of the Mission Impossible films. Here are my thoughts on MI:5: Why wasn't Jeremy Renner in Fallout? Does he die i...